Shamanic Journeying, accessing altered states/ inner visions with the aid of the Drum.
Shamanic Dance/ Trance-Dance – access altered states similar to shamanic journeys – but we take our whole body in with us!
The Story of Creation as told through the Medicine Wheel. An interactive experience.
Serious Comedians – How to use challenging people in life as a free workshop!
Fire Ceremony – teaching the Four Directions and a Ceremony of Release and Renewal.
- The Medicine Wheel and the Story of Creation. This is an interactive experience as I will be asking 20 or more people to take part in making the wheel. The Twenty Count, also known as the ‘Children’s Count’, shows the energies and the powers that act on us within which we live our lives.
- Shamanic Journeying. This is an exploration of altered states without taking drugs. This can enable us to can access our inner wisdom. Shamanic journeying takes us inside while the body goes into rest mode. The monotonous beat of the drum enables an opening in our visionary centres. Travelling with specific intent garners our inner being/spirit to give us pictures and feelings to help understanding of our life patterns.
- Shamanic Dance/ Trance-Dance – Let go into the natural way of movement, action, in the moment, letting yourself be moved by the drum. ‘Quiet mind, Alive body’. Through the dance we access altered states similar to shamanic journeys – but we take our whole body in with us.
- Serious Comedians – How to use the irritating and annoying people of life as a free workshop! We come across these “Petty Tyrants” regularly in life! The Medicine Wheel of petty tyrants guides us to ‘see’ their energies, and the inner hurts and doubts which fuel their behaviour and what they bring to light about our own behaviours in response. This is a ‘serious comedy’ workshop; the laughs tend to come with a bite.
- Fire Ceremony. We create a fire and enact a ceremony of release and renewal. This will include a teaching of the powers of the Four Directions. When we gather for sacred purpose, to touch the greater reality, to walk between the worlds for healing and renewal, we are entering ceremonial space. We dedicate our time together to that which is greater, which is beyond the realm of the ordinary world and so we open the doors to multidimensional reality. This is where ‘magic’ happens and great changes can be made. Of course, to do this effectively we have to leave ego behind!
Leo Rutherford, MA Holistic Psychology, once an engineer, now shamanic practitioner for 33 years. My work ranges from medicine wheel maps of the Universe to sweatlodge, trance dance, shamanic journeying, soul retrieval, ceremony, applications of altered states and energy work.
“I feel like I have lived two lives!”
“The first included ten years of life for me included rigid boarding school, national service and engineering training followed by various awful jobs leading up to the opportunity to run a small manufacturing company, which I did for twelve years. While the first ten years of this were a great experience, even though very challenging, accumulated stress led me to a mid-life crisis of depression and a dire gut wrenching need to a make much greater sense of life.
“I was able to take my life apart and start over a second time. I got involved in the burgeoning Alternative Movement of the 1970’s and after a while found my way to San Francisco, that great melting pot of new ideas, new thinking and experiments in human evolution. There I enrolled in the Fischer-Hoffman Process (now Hoffman Process) which helped me no end with left over childhood issues. I re-learned to dance my body with Gabrielle Roth and took part in her first ever training in 1982, I joined the unique Holistic Psychology MA programme at Antioch University where I learned loads and also came across the ancient wisdom of the Native American people.
“I gradually came to realise that their psychology, ecology and spiritual understanding is far superior to anything in our world and I have followed this ancient wisdom ever since.
“As I have got older, so I have become younger! It is my great joy to pass on to others through these workshops, some of the experience and knowledge that has helped me to transform my life. A process that goes on and on…
“I have been a practitioner now for almost 40 years and will continue till it’s time to go!”
I have published five books and several CD’s including Drumming for the Shamanic Journey and Shamans of Peru. Books: –
‘Principles of Shamanism’. First published by Harper Collins/Thorsons 1996, re-pub as Thorsons way of Shamanism 2011. 3rd edition pub Crescent Moon 2014
‘Shamanic Path Workbook’. First published as ‘Your Shamanic Path’ by Piatkus 2001. Present edition Arima Publishing 2007
‘The View through the Medicine wheel’. O-Books 2008
‘Spirituality versus Religion’. CreateSpace2011
‘The Book of Games and Warm-ups for Group Leaders’. First published by Gale Centre pubs, 1994. Second edition Singing Dragon 2015